While doing calligraphy, have you thought about how your writing looks just like someone else’s, or stopped to think if there is any way you can find your own character and style in your writing? Personally, I find that flourishes and embellishes have the ability to make one’s calligraphy become something personal. They are attractive and give character to an otherwise ordinary piece of writing. This course will break down something seemingly complicated into palatable parts and equip you with the knowledge to flourish your calligraphy effectively.
As this is an intermediate course, participants are assumed to have some knowledge and experience with pointed pen calligraphy. If you have taken my beginner’s course, this course will be a great follow-up.
We will first look into detail the key factors that one should keep in mind while constructing a piece of flourished writing. These pointers are the formulae to flourishing and will be used throughout the lesson. We then examine the various places we can add flourishes. We will walk through the Capital Letters and their fanciful variations, followed by various kinds of flourishes. Finally, we will compose a flourished word/phrase using the ideas learned.
Materials you will receive:
dual function oblique/straight penholder | nib | walnut ink | curated course booklet including alphabet exemplar and capital letter variations | personalised pen roll | practice sheets | pencil & eraser | tote bag
Light snacks will be provided.
- If you wish to have another word / someone else’s name personalised, please inform upon registration.
- You may bring your own holder, nib and ink.
- Material list may be revised.
Is this modern calligraphy?
– Copperplate is a form of traditional calligraphy, in which proper rules, structures, and letterforms will be taught. Having these knowledge and skills under your belt allows one to explore one’s own style or perhaps try something bouncy or fancier, which is commonly known as modern calligraphy. The same rules can also be applied to other tools like brush calligraphy.
Where is the workshop held at?
– I hold my workshops at my own home studio. It is a space that is very personal to me, and I promise it will be a cosy and clean environment for your creative journey to take place. It is a 2 min walk from NEL Hougang MRT station (Singapore).
How big is a class?
– After several sessions of varied class sizes, the comfortable size of a class that I find most ideal is 5 pax. It is not a big space, and I want to make sure that enough personal attention is given to every participant, while making the session as intimate and fun as possible. With that in mind, I will keep the class size to a maximum of 5-6.
Do I need prior experience to join?
– Yes, you will need to have some experience in pointed pen calligraphy–traditional or modern.
How do I register and confirm a place?
– When a workshop is scheduled, a registration page will be made available. After you fill up the registration form on that page, an email will be sent to you with the workshop and payment details. A place will be confirmed once payment is made and verified.
Do I need to bring anything for the workshop?
– As all materials will be provided, including a tote bag to carry them back after the class, you do not need to bring anything. However, you may bring your own materials if you wish to use them for the class.
May I organise a session with a group?
– Yes, you may. If you have a group of at least 3 members, you may schedule a private session, subject to my availability. Please email me to coordinate this.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.